Monday, August 6, 2012

Review of : Sequins, Secrets and Silver Lining's (Threads, #1) by Sophia Bennett

Sequins, Secrets and Silver Lining's by Sophia Bennett



Page Count(Hardcover Edition): 304 pgs. 
Sequins, Secrets, and Silver LiningsPublisher: Scholastic Inc.
Released: January 1st, 2011
Genre: Young Adult Cultural Fashion(?)
Series: Threads #1
My Rating: 5/5
Date Started: July 23, 2012
Date Finished: July 27nd,  2012
Source: Library

Synopsis:

When they meet a Ugandan refugee girl who's an amazing designer, three trendy London teens combine their talents to create some kind of wonderful. A hip, cute, multiculti fashion fairy tale!

Nonie's a freak for fashion. Eco-conscious Edie blogs to save the world--and get into Harvard. Starter-starlet Jenny just landed a small part in a big Hollywood blockbuster. But when these trendy London besties meet a Ugandan refugee girl named Crow, sketching a dress at the V&A Museum, their worldview gets an extreme makeover. As they learn about the serious situation in Crow's homeland, they decide to pool their talents to call attention to the crisis of the Night Walking children. A catwalk show featuring Crow's designs--quelle chic way to raise awareness! Now...how to "make it work"?!


From Goodreads

This book simply AMAZED ME. It made me laugh, feel sad, feel compassionate, etc. I just love it when a book does that! That's what makes me gush about it, as I'm just about to do!

The characters were very cute! All of them; Nonie, Edie, Jenny and Crow, Especially crow, because of how she was capable of making such delicate dresses and clothes with her own hands *sighs* (I can sew but that's about it). Let's carry on in deeper detail shall we? ;)

Nonie: Pro's: The narrator. She is kind of her own private fashion designer/stylist with cute and quirky clothes! The way she explained things throughout the book was just adorable!
Cons: None!
Edie: Pro's: Best friends with Nonie, super smart, always aiming high in education. She has her own blog about The Invisible Children.(Super surprised when I saw Sophia added that bit! Made me a lot more compassionate for Crow!)
Cons: A bit annoying,bossy and has no filter when she says something. A.K.A: she doesn't care if she hurts somebody's feelings when she says something. 
Jenny: Pro's: Up and coming actress, starred in a movie with a hot guy, her dad is a millionaire.
Cons: Whiny, doesn't know how to solve her own problems without complaining about them.
Crow: Pro's: Shy(like me), SUPER DUPER SPECIAL AMAZING FASHION DESIGNER.
Cons: It didn't seem like she appreciated what she was given, but towards the end I realized she did, just didn't like to show it.

I loved every single one of the characters in this book so if it seems like I'm harping on them, I'm not! Just feel like people have the right to know the good and the bad (: Also, I only listed the main 4 characters because I didn't get that much of a feel for the others.

Plot time. I didn't know what to expect with this story, and I'm glad! I like to be surprised sometimes, and this was a good one! The setting was very unique, as I have only read about one other England based YA book. The beginning started to grow on me by the 30th page. This is so hard! I don't want to spoil anything, so I guess I should only say that Nonie really grew as a character as she helped with Crows hometown along with Crows show. The ending was special and unexpected, and almost made me tear up ;'(

Great book! Job well done Sophia Bennett. Pat on the back for you! You will definitely be hearing about me reading the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!