Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review of : Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr.


Page Count(Hardcover Edition): 217 pgs.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Released: February 1st,  2008
Genre: Young Adult Romance/Contemporary
My Rating: 4/5
Date Started: July 18th, 2012
Date Finished: July 22nd,  2012
SweetheartsSource: Library


Synopsis: 

As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.


From Goodreads


When I first picked up this book, I didn't think much of it. I didn't think of how deep is was going to be for the size, and I especially didn't think of how I got two Sara Zarr books at one library picking! Two! That's what made this book so memorable for me. The first Sara Zarr book I read also coincidentally happens to be my first review on my blog, How To Save A Life. I loved these two and am looking forward to reading Story of a Girl.

The characters were, ehh. Besides Steph, Jenna and Cameron, the rest were self-centered and shallow. Katy didn't care about Jenna's feelings, she just wanted Cameron's attention. Ethan was whiny, needy and just plain annoying. I wouldn't want a boyfriend who always need to know where I am and need a phone call every night. That is just borderline creepy, lol. I loved loved loved Alan and Jenna's mom. Alan was the perfect version of a old, but warm and accepting step-father. Jenna's mom, even though she was not really involved in Jenna's life, was was loving and caring when she was there. Jenna and Cameron were deeper characters that are a bit harder to explain with spoiling anything. I will just say this : When they are reunited 8 years later, they are both surprised at each other. They went through a very traumatic experience when they were younger(for those of you who have read this, you will understand) that changed them. Jenna almost got rid of Jennifer Harris, but when Cameron came back, everything shifted back.

I didn't think there was a real story line to this book as to a life telling of Jenna and Cameron. There are flashbacks every chapter that are also in Jenna's POV, that are about her and Cameron when they were little. The traumatic experience is somewhere in the flashbacks.. so you guys get to hunt for it! (:

Sweethearts was a great standalone novel by the wonderful Sara Zarr. I hope you guys enjoyed this review and will hopefully read Sweethearts

If you have any questions or comments, leave them below, please(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!