Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review of : Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett

Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett

Page Count(Hardcover Edition): 310 pgs.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
Released: September 20th 2011
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Mythology
My Rating: 3/5
Date Started: July 10th, 2012
Dark of the Moon
Date Finished: July 17th,  2012
Source: Library


Synopsis: 

Ariadne is destined to become a goddess of the moon. She leads a lonely life, filled with hours of rigorous training by stern priestesses. Her former friends no longer dare to look at her, much less speak to her. All that she has left are her mother and her beloved, misshapen brother Asterion, who must be held captive below the palace for his own safety.

So when a ship arrives one spring day, bearing a tribute of slaves from Athens, Ariadne sneaks out to meet it. These newcomers don’t know the ways of Krete; perhaps they won’t be afraid of a girl who will someday be a powerful goddess. And indeed she meets Theseus, the son of the king of Athens. Ariadne finds herself drawn to the newcomer, and soon they form a friendship—one that could perhaps become something more.

Yet Theseus is doomed to die as an offering to the Minotaur, that monster beneath the palace—unless he can kill the beast first. And that "monster" is Ariadne’s brother . 




From Goodreads

Dark of the Moon was a very interesting read. There were points where I was a bit confused as to where they were, who certain characters were and the overall tale, but it was a truly enjoyable read.


This must be a first for me, reading a teen mythology book. Don't get me wrong, I love mythology as much as the next person, but this is the first time I have actually picked up a book like this. So of course, I dived in immediately.


The characters were the best part! Ariadne, Asterion, Theseus, Prokris, Minos, She-Who-Is-Goddess or Pasiphae.  And of course all of the priestesses.But, I was a bit unsure of Ariadne and Theseus's relationship. In the synopsis it say's she is drawn to him and they have a bond that might become something more. But it the book, it was kinda off and on with them. It was like one moment they liked each other and the next, they didn't even talk. The plan between Prokris and Theseus seemed like a last minute one, and I thought that it would be part of the plot big time, but didn't come into play until the end. Asterion was my favorite character because of how cute he seemed(besides the part of accidentally killing the children. I mean, come on, he didn't mean to).  Asterion seemed to be like a huge teddy bear who didn't have much control over his body or mind.


The story line was okay, based on how things played out. I think the author wanted this book to be deeper in meaning, but in my opinion didn't get there, but she was close. It seemed to me like the events and their traditions were a bit mixed together. The traditions with the whole Goddess and Velchanos thing was confusing, as to who was going to be the sacrifice to fertilize the lands and such forth. I will probably start reading up on Greek mythology now.. (:


I recommend this book to anyone who likes mythology with a bit of suspense, teen and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!