Monday, June 24, 2013

Review of: Possess by Gretchen McNeil

PossessPossess by Gretchen McNeil 

Page Count(Hardcover Edition): 379 pgs
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Released: August 23rd, 2011
Genre:Young Adult Paranormal
My Rating: 3.5
/5 stars
Read: February 21st-March 18th, 2013
Source: Library

Synopsis: 


Rule #1: Do not show fear.
Rule #2: Do not show pity.
Rule #3: Do not engage.
Rule #4: Do not let your guard down.
Rule #5: They lie.


Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from.

Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king.

So I guess I'm back! However temporarily that may be, I'm not sure. I'm sorry if this is is a completely meaningless and horrible review; I have forgotten how to write them. But lets just all enjoy this time while it lasts, shall we? Lets get on with this review.

When I first read the synopsis for Possess, I was a little bit frightened but intrigued, because paranormal does that to me I guess. Demons as a topic is a definite first for me. Possess was a pretty short read because it drew me in fast and furious. I was hoping for a second book or even a series, but I guess some books are better off standing alone.

I liked the fact that Bridget was pretty young, like my age, and dealing with banishing demons into who-knows-where. She had her moments as a 15 year old would, but for the most part, she was in control of the situations she was put in. Bridget was dealing with the murder of her father, so being able to pull off all she did was pretty impressive. The demon banishing scenes were the ones that drew me in the most because of the suspense. I felt like I was actually there in the heat of the moment. I also liked the romance between Bridget and Matt. It, unfortunately, was underdeveloped, but from what I glimpsed of it, I really liked their relationship and how Matt was willing to do almost anything for Bridget

I didn't like how predictable the whodunit character was. I do admit that I went back and forth a bit between 2 people, but it became pretty clear about halfway through the book. I like to be surprised, and in this case I wasn't. I also wasn't very fond on how some characters and their background weren't very developed. Hector, Peter and even Matt seemed 1-D because of how so little I knew about them.

Overall, Possess was an okay book. Better than meh, but I didn't totally love it.

So happy I did a review in what seems like forever! See you guys soon, I hope!

♦Haley♦

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!