Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review of: Burn for Burn(Burn for Burn, #1) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1)
Burn for Burn(Burn for Burn, #1) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Page Count(ARC Edition): 354 pgs
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Released: September 18th, 2012
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
My Rating: 4/5 stars 
Read: from January 17th-25th, 2013
Source: Won in The Story Siren's Giveaway

Synopsis:

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...

THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.
(from Goodreads)

I was really excited when I learned that I had won Burn for Burn in a giveaway in September 2012. I have the September 2012 ARC version, which is super cool! Anyways, onto the review.

For me, Burn for Burn resembled much more than a revenge, getting-back-at-you kind of book. It resembled, in one sense, bullying. For example, Mary was bullied by Reeve for a good portion of her life, and that stood out to me personally. I know what it feels like to be bullied. I know the pain, sadness and humiliation that is felt.With that aspect to the story, I was really able to connect with Mary and what she dealt with way back when.


I loved the setting of this book. Jar Island sounded like this cute, quirky place that would be neat to live in. I especially loved Lillia's house, because of how gallant it seemed. Even though Lillia was most definitely rich, she wasn't stuck up at all. She knew what she had and appreciated it.

Kat was my favorite character, because she was the total opposite of Mary and Lillia. She was the stereotypical bad girl, but that image is only driven by rumors of her ex-bestfriend, Rennie. Kat was daring and dominant, but has a soft side reserved for special people, I think. Mary, for me, was kinda a dull character, but I still adored her and understood her like I have mentioned above. 

I was sort of disappointed when the girl's revenge wasn't as big as I expected it to be. Sure, as a group they had some pretty bad *** revenge on Alex, Reeve and Rennie. But individually, it didn't really impress me. Wasn't the whole part of the story based around revenge? I didn't feel much, to be honest. Except for the end though, that actually scared me. I knew Reeve bullied Mary, but I'm not sure he deserved what he got.

All in all, Burn for Burn didn't let me down, but I was hoping for bigger revenge then what was shown. I am definitely looking forward to the next installment in the series, Fire with Fire. 

P.S:(I know this is really sucky, but I'm very behind on reviews, so I wanted to get something out for ya'll :D)

♦Haley♦

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!